Ahoy, Maties! May is water safety month and we have a fun craft in store for you that fits in this theme perfectly.
We’ll be making cork boats that will actually float! You can fill your bathtub or sink with water and sail away. This will also create an excellent opportunity for imaginative play, float and sink experiments, and a discussion about water safety with your kiddos.
- 3 corks
- 1 large toothpicks
- 2 rubber bands
- 1 small piece of foam or paper
- Hot glue
- Start by gluing your corks together.
- Secure the rubber bands around your corks.
- Attach your foam or paper to the toothpick.
- Attach your toothpick to the center cork.
- Test out your boat and see how well it floats!
If you want to take this activity further, see what else can float or sink in your water! Test rocks, sponges, and different toys! Or turn this into an imaginative game of pirates and mermaids! Just make sure when your kiddo is playing in the water, they have active adult supervision so they’re safe.
Here are links to the Red Cross, for tips on how to be safe this summer. Be sure to preview these videos before you share them with your kids, water safety can be is serious and can be a little scary sometimes!