Did you know that February celebrates Black History Month? Here are some activities for kids that will help them learn about African American history throughout February and beyond. These activities can be done in your home or even in the classroom.
1) Read books together about Black culture and history. Some of our favorites at Explore & More are:
- Little Leaders: Bold Women in Black History by Vashti Harrison
- Little Leaders: Exceptional Men in Black History by Vashti Harrison
- The Story of Ruby Bridges by Robert Coles and George Ford
2) Create a craft or project together to celebrate achievements by African American inventors.
One inventor that we highlight at Explore & More is Garrett Morgan, who invented the traffic light. Check out this neat video that teaches us a little more of Garrett’s life and inventions: