Check out our calendar below for special programs and activities to plan your fun-filled adventure, or just pop by any day we’re open during our regular museum hours—we promise you’ll always find something to do.
Advance ticket purchases are required. You can purchase tickets here.
Hours of Operation:
Open Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday 10AM-4PM
Members Only: Friday 10AM-11AM
Special Sunday Hours: Open 10AM-2:30PM October 24
The museum is closed on the following holidays: Easter Sunday, Memorial Day, Fourth of July, Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, and Christmas Day.
- This event has passed.
Folk Art Fridays
October 22 @ 10:00 am - 12:00 pm
An event every week that begins at 10:00 am on Friday, repeating until December 31, 2021
Join us at Explore & More for FOLK ART FRIDAYS beginning, Friday, July 9th, and every Friday throughout 2021 from 10:00 AM – 12:00 PM, as we conduct activities that will immerse children and families in different forms of folk art, from dance and movement to songs and storytelling, to costuming and crafts. Don’t miss out on the fun! Participation is FREE with paid admission. Better yet, become a member of the museum and join us every week!
There are many different ways to think about folk art. In fact, there is no one definition of folk art. In collecting and displaying folk art, Explore & More considers various concepts and we are so excited to share our new program with you!
Generally, folk art is ART that:
- May be decorative or utilitarian
- May be used every day or reserved for high ceremonies
- Is handmade; it may include handmade elements, as well as new, synthetic, or recycled components
- May be made for use within a community of practice or it may be produced for sale as a form of income and empowerment
- May be learned formally or informally; folk art may also be self-taught
- May include intangible forms of expressive culture like dance, song, poetry, and foodways
- Is traditional; it reflects shared cultural aesthetics and social issues. It is recognized that, as traditions are dynamic, traditional folk art may change over time and may include innovations in tradition.
- Is of, by, and for the people; all people, inclusive of class, status, culture, community, ethnicity, gender, and religion