POSITION REPORTS TO
The Staff Educator is responsible for supporting development of and implementing Museum programming for classes, workshops, events and community outreach programs. They create open-ended learning through play experiences for children and their caregivers that is best in class and supports the Museum’s mission. The Staff Educator serves as an educational advocate to all departments within the organization.
- Support Education Manager in the implementation of the Education Plan. Interpret stated learning benefits within the plan into fun & meaningful play experiences where children explore and learn in an open ended way.
- Ensure that lesson plans for classes, workshops, events and outreach are created to:
- Align with Museum mission and core values emphasizing inclusion
- Have fun and relevant themes
- Offer open-ended hands on play across an array of learning categories that support standards
- Provide opportunities to model behaviors beyond the experience and continue the learning
- Assist in the creation and implementation of processes/procedures to ensure all programs/lesson plans are presented in a similar fashion and are prepared in a timely manner. (eg. Templates)
- Work with the Education Manager to ensure that all logistics of any program/lesson plan are considered: supplies, coordinating schedules, traveling and performing, cleanup/repair or other details as needed.
- Work with Education Manager to develop and implement satisfaction rating process esp. with teachers.
- Research and compile data to support new program ideas. Research and suggest new materials and manipulatives for use in programs to ensure relevance and freshness
- Support Education Managers effort in continuous feedback and improvement of programs. Interact with the Floor Staff and Admissions/Floor Manager on a regular basis for input. Spend approximately 30% of time/ week on floor or at outreach interacting with users
- Support Education department advocacy through generation of website, newsletter or other content creation as requested
- Train volunteers/docents on new programs/lesson plans developed
- Support the maintenance of any interpretive collections
- Arrange for and coordinate with plan related outside contractors for as needed.
- Participate in Education Manager weekly staff meetings
- Other tasks as assigned
- Outside Contractors as needed
- Bachelor’s degree in Early Childhood Education or related field.
- 1-3 years’ experience in related field.
- Demonstrated ability to write lesson plans
- Strong computer skills required – Proficient in Microsoft Office, Mac OS X Yosemite and File Maker Pro.
- Creative and flexible with the ability to inform and motivate others.
- Ability to plan and facilitate programs effectively.
- Strong presentation and written/verbal communication skills.
- Valid driver’s license.
Explore & More Children’s Museum is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Interested candidates should submit their resumes to CEO Michelle Urbanczyk via Meghan Ladolcetta at firstname.lastname@example.org.